When I have time, I respond to requests from education reporters and other media writers about topics of importance to education, social studies, gender and urban education, among others. I've spoken extensively about issues associated with citizenship education, gender, teaching and teacher preparation, and the curriculum projects in which I've been engaged.
Occasionally, I've written brief editorials on issues of the day such as a piece on the importance of media literacy for Education Week, which grew out of Project Vietnam, and contributions to the New York Times on topics such as early childhood education, teacher preparation, and Teach for America.
Since starting as Chairperson in the Department of Teacher Education at MSU in May 2014, I've also contributed to the Green & Write blog, first on "Texas, Textbooks, and the Politics of History Standards (http://edwp.educ.msu.edu/green-and-write/2014/texas-textbooks-and-the-politics-of-history-standards/_) and another time on the AP U.S. History framework controversy in Colorado (http://edwp.educ.msu.edu/green-and-write/2014/u-s-history-and-national-identity-the-case-of-jefferson-county-colorado/). I was also interviewed by Stefanie Marshall about the terrific movie, Selma: http://edwp.educ.msu.edu/green-and-write/2015/teaching-selma-an-interview-with-dr-margaret-crocco.
Here are a few other highlights:
- Interview with Elizabeth Weingarten for article, "Is this the end of the crusade for gender-equal curricula?", featured in the Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/06/is-this-the-end-of-the-crusade-for-gender-equal-curricula/530493/
- Higher Education Today, with Steven Roy Goodman and Richard Vedder, interview on educational reform: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMVabclMw48
- "Mini-Moments of Big Thinkers" for the 125th Anniversary of Teachers College, Columbia University: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAFds2hNFg
- Appearance on the Brian Lehrer show with New York Times columnist Bob Herbert to discuss Katrina, http://www.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2007/sep/18/
- Taking Democracy Live, TC Today, on my curriculum development work: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/news.htm?articleID=7275&pub=7&issue=247
- Invest in the Youngest Students, Contribution to New York Times: Room for Debate Online Forum, October 5, 2010: http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2010/10/05/can-100-million-change-newarks-schools/invest-in-the-youngest-students
- Interview on the new curriculum called Vietnam Now, debuted at Teachers College: http://blip.tv/teachers-college-columbia-university/interview-with-margaret-crocco-and-bill-gaudelli-2081174
- A Threat to Public Education, Contribution to New York Times: Room for Debate Online Forum, July 15, 2010: http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2010/7/14/does-teach-for-america-improve-the-teaching-profession/a-threat-to-public-education
- WNYC (public radio affiliate of NPR) response to Arne Duncan address at Columbia University, 2010: http://www.tc.columbia.edu/news.htm?articleID=7194#DuncanWNYC
- Weblog: “New Orleans and its citizens: Three years later, http://journalofeducationalcontroversy.blogspot.com/
- Project Vietnam Partnership with Columbia Center for New Media Teaching and Learning, plus Commentary on Vietnam War and Media Literacy, Education Week: 8/26/09: http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projectvietnam/pv_news.html